Demons are malevolent beings considered to be unclean spirits, fallen angels, or spirits of unknown type which may cause possession. This list was inspired by the List of Vampire Traits in Folklore and Fiction on Wikipedia, albeit a few modifications.
- Unnatural Strength – Demons have always shown themselves to be supernaturally strong. Even in possession they exhibit enough strength to overpower a human.
- Immortality – Demons are usually depicted as having immortality due to their lack of an actual body or actually being “alive”.
- Possession – Tons of demonic lore depict demons with the ability to take over and inhabit the body of others (whether willingly or by force). In the 2011 The Rite, the demon Baal, possesses Father Lucas.
- Shapeshifting – Shapeshifting is an ability demons use to lure, haunt, or entice humans. They can take the form of other humans, beasts, or transforms parts of their bodies. In the Crimson City series, demons have the ability to changing their forms (whether corporal or physical) at will.
- Teleportation – Demons can teleport at will. Some can teleport utilizing the shadows.
- Magic – Of course, being supernatural, demons can utilize magic in its many forms. Most demons use dark magic.
- Telepathy – Demons are able to read the minds of others. How else do you explain them taking on someone that you love or something that you’re completely terrified of.
- Telekinesis – Obviously, demons can use telekinesis. Look at all of those possession movies, they be having all the furniture flying across the room and people floating in mid-air.
- Elemental Control – Come now, demons can utilize the elements to do their bidding. Of course, most of the time it’s usually fire. Look at the 2007 movie Ghost Rider, the three fallen angels: Earth Angel Gressil, Air Angel Abigor, and Water Angel Wallow. Each had their own elemental ability.
- Mind Control – If demons can read minds, is it too far of a stretch that they can control them too.
- Exorcism – the religious or spiritual practice of purportedly evicting demons or other spiritual entities from a person or an area they are believed to have possessed. Exorcism is one of the few ways to truly defeat a demon. Just look at the 1973 movie The Exorcist.
- Holy (Symbols, Items, Magic, Water, etc.)
- Horns – Demons have this weird connection with goats and rams so horns are probably included. Take a look at Hellboy, he has horns even though he keeps them filed down. But when they grow out…
- Wings – Some demons have wings, some do not. But since demons are fallen angels and angels are perceived to have wings. Demons should probably have them too.
- Eye Color
- Skin Color – Demons have a variety of skin colors (when they possess a physical form) but a lot are depicted as having red skin.
- Human – Some incarnations of demons have a human form. In the 2007 Ghost Rider movie, all of the demon characters look human.
- Fallen Angel – Biblically demons were created from the angels having fallen from heaven (as was the case with Lucifer).
- Soul Exchange – Humans tend to exchange their souls to become demons. Sometimes they’re either dealing with the devil or with other demons.
- Reproduction – Like other species, some demons have the capability to reproduce with one another. Some can even reproduce with humans.
- Satan – In most incarnations of demons, fallen angels, and hell the Devil is the head honcho.
- Demon Society or Organization
- Known to Human Society
- Terms and Nicknames
- Supernatural Creatures
Thanks for checking out the post and in the comment section below let us know what your favorite demonic abilities or what abilities aren’t on this list.